Wednesday, December 1, 2010

All you need is LOVE..

I think, or at least hope each of us have had a Family Member or friend that
has inspired us in one way or other...or many.
As a kid, my Uncle Tom was my idol (still is).
He was a young uncle, an artist, musician...
not like everyone else in the family.

He was COOL.

As a kid, I had the great fortune to get to spend significant 
one on one time with him.  He lived quite the bohemian starving 
artist lifestyle, residing in the coolest little vintage home in Pasadena.
A Graduate of Otis Art Institute, he stayed steadfast on his
artistic past.

He'd pick me up in a sometimes barely running cars...one was
an old vw bug with a sunroof that was rotted out, so if it rained you either
got wet or used an umbrella while driving.
I am sure he might bemoan these poorer memories, but it was so friggin cool to me.
Being 10 years old,  hanging out with my Artist Uncle who took me all over
Los Angeles, to musuems, galleries, lunch under a high rise building,
Olvera Street, Little Tokyo where I discovered the ORIGINAL Hello Kitty line
when you could only buy it in Little Tokyo and all of the writing was in Japanese...
hanging out at his studio, watching him paint or make music.

Uncle has come a long way from those days, 
he is an accomplished Artist and Musician, 
is Art Director for a Major Record Company...now lives in an ULTA cool
Contemporary home in Pasadena.
His Graphic art work has garnished him Grammy nominations, 
his Music has been recognized internationally.
I have been able to attend as an adult several of his
Art Installations and Love them!
His Google list is impressive...
Click his picture if you are curious.


As we don't get to hang out like we did in the "old days"...
(he is going to hate the old days reference) 
LOL.
I get to see him on Holidays and he
was at my house for Thanksgiving.
We have both made New Year's Resolutions to spend
MORE time together in 2011.

Uncle knows I LOVE music...don't have or watch TV.
Have never seen American Idol, Sex in the City, Dancing with the Idiots, 
Desperate Housewives, or the lot.  Direct TV was shut off several years ago.
The kids and I do have over 30 gigabytes of music on my computer
with a multitude of CD's we have yet to download.

Uncle further solidified his COOLNESS to me by gifting me the entire
ALL NEW FULLY DIGITIZED BEATLES Collection!!!
Woohoo!!!


Yes, we have been singing the Beatles around here all week.

What is your Favorite Beatles Song?

Thank you Uncle Tom...I LOVE YOU!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a great uncle you have. Cherish all the wonderful moments and memories. Great tribute to him, well deserving. Sounds like you had a great learning experience and fun as well. Wow, the Beatles, my generation. I have their very first hand and of "I Want To Hold Your Hand," comes in first. I loved them all and sure do miss John and George. Congrats on having such a great uncle. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "do you want to know a SECRET, ooh wah ooh...will you promise not to tell, ooh whoa whoa oh" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that was a REALLY nice gift! I want an "Uncle"! There are so many great Beatles songs, I think one of my favorites is, "In My Life" from the Rubber Sole album.
    "Though I know I'll never lose affection
    For people and things that went before
    I know I'll often stop and think about them
    In my life I love you more"

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!
    Great story...creativity runs in the family!
    I can't imagine the world without the Beatles music.
    The Long and Winding Road is my favorite for sure...

    xoxo,

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. He saound like an amazing guy, no wonder you found him cool and uder interesting! Creative people always attract me and inspire me. Well, and "The Beatles", I love them too much to express it in a short comment. I love so many songs by them that it will be always impossible for me to choose the favorite one.:-)

    ReplyDelete